Monday, September 02, 2013

Graphic Novel on "The Big Questions"



I have to give a plug for a great new book released by Catholic Answers called "The Truth is Out There".  It's a graphic novel that follows the adventures of two eccentric characters, Brendan and Erc, as they travel space while debating fundamental philosophical and theological issues: why do we exist?  Is there a God?  Is there any right or wrong? 

I gave it to my teenage boys, and they were through with it in 24 hours and loved it.  It's a great book to share with teens, especially in this culture of "New Atheism" that thinks Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle were just "idiots."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting.

Anonymous said...

The Greek word for idiot means one who is not interested or involved in politics. They were all involved in politics and sought for democratic ideals.

John Bergsma said...

It's a reference to the movie The Princess Bride, in which the annoying villain boasts about his genius, claiming that in comparison to him, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle were just idiots. It is also the de facto position of Richard Dawkins, who thinks any believers in God--like the ancient Greek philosophers--are idiots in the sense of unintelligent persons. He also has contempt for philosophy and philosophers, since the natural sciences alone are able to produce true knowledge.

Anonymous said...

I see. I have never seen that movie before so I didnt catch the referance. I actually learned this from a different movie. The irony of Dawkins is that so many of the concepts that these philosophers thought of were of great contribution to the scientific community. I appreciate your insight on the book. Ill have to look into buying this for my kids.