Friday, January 03, 2014

Gupta ranks our book "Four Views on the Role of Works" one of the best of 2013

Special thanks to New Testament scholar Nijay Gupta, who offers his list of the best books of 2013. Among them is the book I co-wrote with James D.G. Dunn, Thomas Schreiner, and Robert Wilkin, "Four Views on the Role of Works at the Final Judgment", edited by Alan Stanley (Zondervan, 2013).

Gupta writes:
Best Multi-View Work 
There have been several multi-view books out this year (e.g., inerrancy, historical Adam), but pride of place must go to Four Views on the Role of Works at Final Judgment. I found the conversations between Barber, Dunn, and Schreiner especially rewarding. This would make a very nice companion textbook to any New Testament theology course. 
Last year, Gupta wrote a series of thoughtful posts on the book.

I was especially gratified by this comment (from Part 5):
This is a very insightful book – it was especially helpful for me to see how Catholic theology approaches this issue.
I really hope to write a series of blog posts on the responses to my chapter. (I'm still stunned that James D.G. Dunn has written a response to something I have written!) I've been unable to focus on that task since the book was published but hopefully I'll get to it in the new year.

By the way, I should return the favor by mentioning that Gupta has a very important book that deserves serious attention, entitled, Worship that Makes Sense to Paul: A New Approach to the Theology and Ethics of Paul's Cultic Metaphors (Walter de Gruyter, 2010).



No comments: