Monday, December 15, 2014

All I Want For Christmas. . .

UPDATE:
Thanks to two anonymous readers I've been able to cross two books off my list. Thanks so very much! 

This time of year a number of internet sites and blogs run lists of gift ideas for "men".

For the record, I definitely don't want a flask or a knife or a pipe.

In years past, some very kind readers have amazingly sent gifts on Christmas. Those gifts have all been  helpful and, of course, very much appreciated.

To be honest, I've got a number of academic projects I'd really like to finish this coming year and I require a number of resources to realize those goals. And what I need isn't going to be cheap.

I don't mean to be presumptuous but if anyone is planning on helping out a young Catholic scholar with four little children this Christmas, this is what I would put on my wish list.

I've put in some links below but a quick check on www.Bookfinder.com is always the recommended way to find books at the lowest possible price. You can also check out my Amazon Wish list - see the panel on the right.

Martha Himmelfarb, Between Torah and Temple. Tübingen: Mohr-Siebeck, 2013. 

Markus Bockhmuehl. The Remembered Peter. Tübingen: Mohr-Siebeck, 2010. Price: ~$112

Ben Cooper. Incorporated Servanthood: Commitment and Discipleship in the Gospel of Matthew. London: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2013. Price: ~$30

Holly Beers. The Followers of Jesus as the 'Servant': Luke’s Model from Isaiah for the Disciples in Luke-Acts. London: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2015. Price: ~$112

Jonathan Knight, The Open Mind: Essays in Honour of Christopher RowlandLondon: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2015. Price: ~$112

Stefanos Mihalios. The Danielic Eschatological Hour in the Johannine LiteratureLondon: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2012. Price: ~$30

Karen Wenell. Jesus and Land: Sacred and Social Space in Second Temple Judaism. London: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2012. Price: ~$125

R. Timothy McLay. The Temple in Text and Tradition: A Festschrift in Honour of Robert Hayward. London: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2012. Price: ~$115

Jens Schröter. Jesus of Nazareth: Jew from Galilee, Savior of the World. Waco: Baylor University Press, 2014. Price: ~$50

L. M. Morales, Cult and Cosmos. Leuven: Peeters, 2014. Price: $140

If there is any kind soul out there interested in sending me something, books can be sent to the following address:
Dr. Michael Barber
c/o JP Catholic University
220 W. Grand Ave.Escondido, CA 92025

If anyone does plan on sending something my way, thanks so very much. And please leave a comment and tell me what I can cross of the list.

Peace!



3 comments:

Lee Gilbert said...

Dr. Barber,

FWIW, I can't buy it, here is one of the books you want at a much better price:


Cult and Cosmos available here for $106.00

http://www.lowrysbooks.com/book/9789042930254

Lee Gilbert

Lee Gilbert said...

Dr Barber, The book you want, The Remembered Peter was published in 2010 and costs c. $120 By the same author: Simon Peter in Scripture and Memory: The New Testament Apostle in the Early Church was published in 2012 and is available new on Amazon for $4.95. The only question is whether this latter book is a popularization and not a scholarly update.

Michael Barber said...

Thanks, Lee! Unfortunately, the one for $4.95 is a different book (which I have--and it is a solid scholarly work, though not as technical as the other). But thanks for trying to help.